Meet our fall intern Emil Botes as he shares his insightful experience at SACC San Diego. If you aspire to be our next intern for Spring 2024, applications are now open. Learn more and apply here.
How has your time as a Cleantech & Business Development Intern at the Swedish American Chamber of Commerce in San Diego (SACC-SD) been during the summer and fall?
- Incredibly rewarding! I have learned a lot about the cleantech industries in both California and Sweden, establishing impressive and useful contacts for the future. I have been exposed to the latest trends and innovations in renewable energy and the significant impact of the Biden administration's Inflation Reduction Act on cleantech.
Can you share something fun or something you are particularly proud of from your time at SACC-SD?
- I was responsible for organizing a fantastic networking event earlier this summer, where I brought together the Swedish E-Bike company CAKE and the American Aptera Motors to participate. It was an amazing atmosphere, and it felt great to be in the center of it all. Truly valuable contacts were made!
In what ways has your role helped boost SACC-SD's presence in cleantech?
- As an intern at SACC-SD, I have been immersed in the cleantech industries here in San Diego, collaborated with local industry organizations, and forged new partnerships that have expanded the cleantech portfolio.
What have you learned about the differences and similarities between the cleantech industries in California and Sweden, and how has it affected your personal development?
- It has been incredibly enlightening to work within an American context and culture. There is a distinct difference in how Swedes and Americans work. This knowledge has truly enhanced my personal development and provided me with new ways to think strategically and globally.
Finally, what message would you like to convey to other students interested in SACC-SD?
- The weather in San Diego is absolutely wonderful! The people here are fantastic and very easy to get to know and make friends with. San Diego is the perfect city for those who love the beach, the sea, the sun, and social culture!
We extend our gratitude to Emil Botes for the interesting interview!
Business Development and cleantech intern at SACC San Diego